Monday, December 8, 2008

Paddle With Might

Paddle With Might

The waters of this great river push me further and further from my beginning. I am on a journey, as my life slowly turns into a relaxation. As a bump over rocks and smoothly flow right through the ripples, I am tempted to realize what life is really all about. As I dip my paddle to and fro, I laugh and sing as my sweet innocent face glows. Life is now as it seems, peaceful as a river... happy as can be. Paddle with might.
-Jenni Taylor

One of my favorite things that I used to do before my accident was to go canoeing. I loved being on the river, paddle in hand, sharing a moment with friends, and being at peace with myself. I made up this poem before my accident, when I used to canoe all the time. I went to camp Icaghowan (a YMCA camp in Amery, Wisconsin) every summer and we would go canoeing. One summer I was a Challenger at Camp, and we went canoeing and camping on the St. Croix River forth 10 days. That was the best. I hope to someday canoe once more and experience new journeys all over again.

Jenni

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Poem Jenni! It is wisdom so beautifully put. Thank You for sharing!
Sandy

Matthew Smith said...

Hi there,

Do you know about Hilary Lister? She is a British quadriplegic woman who has done various sailing records, such as being the first quad to sail solo (well, with a support boat half a mile away) across the English Channel and is currently sailing round Britain. You can find her website here but do a Google search for her as well because the Times and Telegraph have long interviews with her.