Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mall of America

Today we went to the Mall of America. It is the biggest mall in the United States. It doesn't seem that big to me because I've been there so many times, but to first-timers it's huge. When we go we usually make a day out of it because it takes a while to get to the stores we want. When we went today, we ate lunch first which only gave us a little time to shop. I ended up only going to three stores, all of which I could've gone to at the mall down the street from me. Oh well, it's the whole atmosphere and experience of it all that matters.

Sometimes I get claustrophobic in places with a lot of people. It was quite crowded at the mall today. It is hard because I can't just walk away from the situation. The accessibility in stores also bothers me. I end up rearranging the store when I go into it. They tend to put clothing racks so close together that we have to move them to get through. It doesn't bother me to move them; what bothers me is that I should even have to move them. I even know one store at the mall down the street from me that has stairs to enter the store. I wouldn't shop there anyways but that's not the point. They have shutters on each side of the door that I could possibly fit through, but they have tables and racks of clothing in the way. Don't get me wrong, I love shopping, but some things need to change. At least I don't avoid going out to places because of poor accessibility. I like to stay active and get out of the house; even if that means becoming an interior decorator for clothing stores.

I had a little challenge because I am still in my manual wheelchair. When I go places it is difficult not being able to be independent in moving. When I wanted to look at something I had to ask someone to turn me towards it. I am hoping my electric wheelchair will be ready by the end of next week.

Jenni

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was there on Saturday too! Would have been nice to meet you in person...