Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back at It

I recently did a post on me painting and how I hadn't done it in a long time. I talked about how I thought that the reason why was because I didn't want to hassle with taking it all out and then putting it away again. I also thought maybe I was just in a painters block. I was right. Yesterday, I took the time to take all of my painting supplies out and finally did it! I painted and it felt great! While painting, I took pictures to document my experience and show others how I do it.

The picture above is a of me setting up for painting. I'm covered in towels because I use watercolor as my medium and it can get a little messy. While setting up, I have someone wet the colors that I am going to use and soak the paper in water for five minutes. The reason I soak the paper is because I mostly do abstract paintings, and when the paper is wet, the watercolor runs and bleeds together nicely. The picture below is of me painting. Someone puts the paintbrush in my mouth and then holds the board for me. I have not found an easier or more independent way for me to paint other than someone holding it. I have thought about using an easel but my neck just isn't strong enough for me to be moving it all over the place. That's why I have someone else move the painting for me wherever I ask them to.

I am almost always happy with the finished product. I don't ever have a plan in mind when I start painting. I just let the colors go where they want to. However, this one turned out a little bit too light for me. I think I'm going to go back and add some bright colors over a few parts of the top of what I have done so far. Or maybe I should just leave it the way it is. I'm not quite sure yet. The picture below is what the painting looks like now. I am planning on trying to paint once a month. I have left my painting supplies out so that I don't have an excuse. I really love doing it and expressing myself.


Jenni

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I know some people w/CP that do stuff with a stick attached to this thing that goes on their head. One of them has figured out how to attach a paintbrush to it, so he paints using his forhead. Would that work for you? Or maybe your trach makes that too awkward?