Monday, January 12, 2009

Another New Record

Today I went into the standing frame again. It took me about 10 minutes to get to 90°. My blood pressure didn't even drop on the way up. I was very careful to go up slowly so that it wouldn't. Once I got up to 90°, I stood for 33 minutes, beating my old record of 28 minutes. I know it's only a difference of five minutes, but when I'm fighting fatigue, sore muscles, and my blood pressure, every minute counts.

I am so excited to have the opportunity to stand. Many people are unable to get medical equipment because of expenses. I know what it's like to go through the process of trying to get something paid for and then getting a denial saying that they won't. I just keep on trying. My ultimate goal is to start a nonprofit organization for people with disabilities who need medical equipment and are unable to get it paid for. For example a wheelchair, stander, bed, shower or bath chair, or any other type of supplies they may need. My non-profit organization will also include funding for house remodeling, physical or occupational therapy, voice activation devices, or any other type of equipment or service that may make someone with a disability more independent or their life easier. It may be a long way out, but I know it will happen and I am determined to help others in need.

Jenni

"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world."
-Anonymous

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenni - We need more people in the world like you!!

Anonymous said...

I love that idea for a non-profit foundation. Wouldn't it be great if people (or churches or groups of people) could "sponsor" someone to help them get whatever equipment they needed. Or even if people could donate used equipment (I don't know if that would be possible, but I'm thinking maybe?).

Anonymous said...

thats great im a c1 quad who is ventilator dependent also, i am 17 and had my car accident in 2005, in my stander ive only managed 5 minutes so far b4 it be comes too painful as i have feeling in all but my lower legs