Saturday, November 1, 2008

Change

Chrysalis
Throughout life you will learn
that sorrow will not remain.
You will see that it is
like a butterfly emerging
from its cocoon to make way
for greater things.
-Corrine DeWinter

When a caterpillar spins a chrysalis, does it know its life is going to change and that it's going to turn into a beautiful butterfly? When a baby is born, does it know the path that it's going to live and the life-changing moments that may occur? Change happens every day whether it is good or bad. People die, give birth, get jobs, lose jobs, graduate high school or college, etc. Some is just simply change and some is life-changing. Like an accident that changes you from an active teen to being paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

Today is the sixth year anniversary of my accident. This day doesn't frighten or scare me; I don't get sad or depressed; I don't think why me or about all the "what ifs". I just live and thank God that I am still living and still hear on this earth able to live my life with this change. The accident did change my life, but it didn't change me. I'm still the same person I used to be. I still want to love and be loved. I still need friends and family to support me. I want to be an advocate for others with disabilities like me; others who have faced similar changes. I also want to show people not to be afraid of change. Because of this change I live my life differently. It may be hard at times, but I'm happy and that's all that matters.

Jenni

"New beginnings start as the seed of a flower does, buried, unseen, but destined to bloom.
-Corrine DeWinter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenni,
I found your blog through Karly! You, like Karly, are, in my mind, Heroes. I know you probably don't mean to be, but through your writings you give us insight and perspective. Through Karly I have learned to look at life much differently than I used to. Suddenly its the people around me that really matter, not the "stuff" for that I will be forever grateful! Keep on Blogging and I will be checking back. I will add a link from my blog to yours! Hope to meet you some day or hear you speak!
Sandy