Thursday, July 29, 2010

Getting Independence Back

The most valuable thing to me to have in my current situation is independence. It is something that is extremely hard to get once you've lost, so when things come along that can help that I hold onto them. When I finally get it back and then lose it again, it can be frustrating and saddening. Losing the ability to drive my wheelchair myself has been extremely tough. Right now I'm in the process of trying to figure out which way I'd like to use to drive a new power wheelchair.

On Tuesday Key Medical brought me a power wheelchair with a sip and puff to trial. After telling me how to use it, I tried it out for the first time in my room. It was not at all like I expected; harder actually. I tried it for a little while, got tired and sore cheeks, and was extremely frustrated that it wasn't going my way. It would have been easier to try it outside or something in a bigger space, but it was extremely hot and humid outside. At first they said that they were going to take it back with them when they left. I said no because there's no way I can know after an hour if it's going to work or not or if I like it. I was able to keep it until this morning at around 10 AM. I'm extremely surprised that they wouldn't do a longer trial period.

Yesterday I took it outside to mess around with it. After a while, I started getting the hang of it but was still frustrated. I know it takes a while to get used to something and learn it, but I just felt like no matter how long I tried it, I was never going to get it. I want to say that I loved it and that that's what I want to use, but I am unable to. Without something else (besides the tongue touch) to compare it to, I just don't know if it would work out for me to use. So I talked to them today and they are now going to try to get a wheelchair with a chin joystick for me to try; although I'm not quite sure how long that will take.

After I choose which of the two ways I want to use to drive my wheelchair, then they can begin the process of ordering it. It will probably take a couple of months before medical assistance will approve to pay for the chair. Only after we go through this entire process can I begin to get my independence back. I'm hoping and praying that everything works out okay and then it can be as quick of a process as possible.

Jenni

2 comments:

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

I have said a little prayer for you as well and I hope you soon have your independence back. Have a nice weekend.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

sd said...

Hang in there you will be getting
you indendnce back soon.