Thursday, June 3, 2021

Using my Knowledge to help Others in Need

I've always been a kind, generous, giving person and put others before myself. Although more so now that I know what it’s like from a perspective of someone with a disability, more specifically a spinal cord injury. I need constant help and support from those around in order to live a happy, meaningful and fulfilling life.

I’ve seen firsthand others in similar situations who need support and guidance in their life in order to get through tough times. I have been there before. I’ve struggled to find my place in a world that has a difficult time accepting those who are different from them. When it comes to people with disabilities, I had to unpack a lifetime of negative messages.

One thing that’s unique about my situation is that I never had any anger after my accident. I’ve figured, what kind of life would I be living if I went around being mad at everything that happened to me. I find it fatiguing to go over tireless circumstances, feeling like a victim of something, and self-pitying because I don’t feel it gets me anywhere. Although, I know there are those who have had similar things happen who may struggle with a different way of living and do question things constantly.

Through the last 18 ½ years, my accident has brought me many positives-including great friends, increased empathy, strength, forgiveness, appreciation, openness and a brand-new perspective on life itself. The thing that keeps me going is knowing that I can be there for those in need, along with the people who I care about most in my life. It has always been a part of my self-serving nature, even before my injury.

There are thousands of individuals and families affected each year who have encountered an SCI, and I believe throughout all the different types of disabilities, it’s amongst the most shocking life events one can experience. It often falls under that person’s friends and family to assist them on the hard road ahead to rehabilitation. Also, after this big of significant change, life is usually never the same again. One thing that’s most important is that those affected never give up hope.

This brings me to my next endeavor in my life, assisting others in need of someone who can understand the emotional and physical consequences of an SCI. There’s no doubt that the Internet has a lot of information, although it’s not always the most accurate and there is only so much aid those around can offer. So that’s where help and stories from someone in that same position come in and offer support. Within this is the expectation that they can show some sympathetic and kindness where it’s needed most.

I’m very proud of all the things I’ve been able to do to help out others in my current situation.  I know from past speeches, mentoring, my blog and volunteering that my accomplishments and achievements have not gone unnoticed.  I’m going to continue expanding my knowledge and helping people in need. I reached out to a few different mentoring programs and am in the process of becoming a peer mentor for a couple of different organizations. 

If you know someone who is in need of a mentor or you are interested, please let me know by emailing me at: jtic20@gmail.com.

 Jenni

“Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve.... You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”

-Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: