Saturday, June 12, 2021

First Session at ABLE Program

I had my first session at ABLE yesterday. My mom was able to drive me in our van and pick me up. Sometimes I will use transportation, but for the first session it was good getting the feel for how much time I needed, including drive, transfer and session. When I got there, I saw that there were two physical therapists that would work with me at a time. Then the main PT talked to me about which two exercises I was going to do, and then went through a plan of the order and how long each one would take I would do. 

Using the Bicycle
The first exercise I did was called guided exercise. They transferred me to a bench and laid me down on my back. Then they strapped my feet to pedals like on a bicycle, although my legs were bent upwards. The therapists stood on each side of me and moved my legs simultaneously like I was peddling. After about 10 minutes, they strapped my arms up and as they moved my legs, my arms moved at the same time as my legs. Overall, I did it about 17 minutes, although in the future the goal is 20-30 minutes.

After this, they transferred me back to my chair and I repositioned it alongside a table mat. Then moved me to the mat so I could use electrical stimulation. They put electrodes on my abs, obliques, lower back and between my shoulder blades. After hooking them up to a machine that made them stimulate, the PT started with firing each spot separately until I could feel it. Then made them all go simultaneously, which made me spasm and worked my muscles. I did this for about 40 minutes, but the goal is 60 minutes total.

At the end of the session, my nurse said that before I went, she was nervous about how everything was going to work out. Then, the PT admitted that he was too, especially because the center had never had someone on a ventilator do any of the exercises before. I was excited but also a little bit nervous. Mainly for the fact that I wasn’t sure if everything would work out okay and if I would have the stamina to complete everything.

I’m glad I started and stuck with it, because everything worked out great! It took a while for me to get situated with each exercise. Next time, I’m planning on getting to Courage Kenny about ½ an hour earlier so that I have time to get through every exercise goal. After everything, I was very tired, and was exhausted as soon as I got back in bed. I slept while doing range of motion and even 30 minutes after. Usually, after I transfer into bed, I start range and it takes about half an hour and then I sit up and go on my computer for about an hour in half.

I am very hopeful that after the first six weeks session that I will have improvements in overall health, fitness, strength and possible feeling. One of the biggest goals is to gain movement. Although I may have a while until I get to that goal, I know with some hard work and dedication, that day will come.

Jenni

“Strength grows in the moments when you think you can’t go on but you keep going anyway.”

-Anonymous

No comments: