Sunday, April 4, 2021

Update

On Friday I had my first dose of the COVID vaccine. I ended up getting the Pfizer one which is two doses. My next one is scheduled for three weeks from Friday. I set the first appointment up about a month before it, and the only place nearest to me that had availability was regions hospital. Regions is in St. Paul which is about 30 minutes away from me. It’s actually connected to Gillette Children’s Hospital; that is where I spent over five months after my accident. Good thing is I didn’t have any side effects from it.

A couple weeks ago, I ended up with a respiratory infection. The reason I knew I was sick was because I had to constantly be on oxygen (I’m usually on room air). Also, my nurses were suctioning me more frequently and my secretions were colored. They were able to determine that it was 50% staph infection and a mixture of a couple other infections with a sputum culture. I was put on an antibiotic for 10 days and it’s all cleared up now. I’m glad that it wasn’t anything bigger than that being how sick I felt.

One positive thing is that since I’ve been off my seizure medication (Depakote) after my recent hospitalization, I’ve noticed some significant loss of water weight. It’s pretty much everywhere, especially in my face, arms, legs and stomach. My hands are where you can see it the most. They used to be super puffy and have a lot of pitting edema. Pitting edema is something that I had a lot of in my body. It is when a swollen part of your body has a dimple (or pit) after you press on it for a few seconds.

I’m so happy that it’s helping me, and it’s only been a few weeks. I can’t wait to see how much more I will lose down the line. It will be a huge transformation for me. I still have a video appointment with the nephrologist soon to talk to them about how I’m doing since being off the medication. I’ll be glad to report the good news to them.

For Easter today my sister, her boyfriend and my new niece came over to visit. I can’t believe that she is now five months old! My other niece is now seven years old. I love being on an aunt because I get to be the fun one, I get the distinct honor to spoil them, and they can come to me for advice. I’ve also always loved having aunts for the same reasons.

Jenni

No comments: