Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Happiness and Joy

It’s a fact that we all want to be happy. Although happiness is a spectrum-not an absolute. While some factors that affect happiness are out of our control (genetics being one of them), there are always actions we can take to amp up our good vibes. There is a science behind our happiness levels, why they fluctuate and what we can do to boost them.

Below I’ve created a list of some things I love along with enjoy doing that help bring joy and happiness to my life:

1. Volunteering- I really enjoy helping others and by doing so I also help myself feel better.

2. Shopping- even if I don’t necessarily need anything, allowing myself to indulge in even the smallest of purchases is a good way to destress and enhance my mood.

3. Creating something artistic- whether it’s painting or making cards, I enjoy bringing out my creative side and then showcasing my work afterwards.

4. Writing- this is a way for me to let my mind go and my thoughts flow freely.

5. Trying something new- I feel more likely to maintain positive memories than negative by participating in new activities. I also end up collecting unique experiences.

6. Spending time with my dog-this is a foolproof way to boost my happiness, alleviate loneliness and bring me joy.

7. Going outside- I am happiest in nature and there’s plenty of it where I live. Whether it’s taking my dog for a walk or just sitting in the sun on my patio.

8. Laugh- they say laughter is the best medicine, and in many ways that’s true. It’s something I incorporate in my life on a day-to-day basis.

9. Take a power nap- every day I take time to take a 30-minute nap. I feel it helps boost my happiness and gives me more energy throughout the day.

10. I’m very optimistic- I believe having a positive outlook on life makes me happier and healthier.

11. Spend time with friends and family- having people around me and spending time with them gives me comfort and joy. It can also make me happier when needed.

12. Listen to music-throwing on some tunes like my favorite songs or some smooth jazz really puts me in a good mood.

13. Meditate- this helps me rewire my brain while calming down my environment.

14. Go on my computer- I use a speech recognition software which allows me to be independent. This is how I write, browse the Internet, and communicate with others.

Of course, this list is not complete. It's only just a few of the things that I enjoy doing and bring happiness and joy to my life.

Jenni

Check out my other blog post: Happiness with an SCI

No comments: