Monday, July 27, 2020

Nurse Call Out

I have stated in the past how much I depend on my nurses and PCAs to help with all my cares. They are important and vital in order to go about my daily life. Even though sometimes it can be difficult to have people around me 24/7, I’m fortunate to be fully staffed. 

When either a nurse or PCA calls in or we do not have one for that shift I have to rely on family to help. Sometimes we are able to get someone to fill the shift, either one that works here, one that’s backup, or someone new to just fill in. Although it doesn’t happen very often that we find a replacement, especially if the call out is that day.

It’s always difficult when this happens for a couple reasons. First, my mom isn’t able to do any lifting like she used to be able to. Although my aunt, Sandy, can help when she’s here which is nice. Second, I don’t always get everything done that I need or want in a given day. I know everyone does the best with what they can do, and I am very appreciative of that. 

This morning, my day nurse called in saying that she had a “family emergency”. I never know if it’s true or not or what the real reason behind it is. Luck was on my side that Sandy was available to help. Also, my PCA that worked this morning from 7 AM to 12 PM said she could come back and work from 1 PM to 3:30 PM to stay with me. They don’t do nurse related stuff but are here if I need anything else.

Jenni

No comments: