Friday, May 29, 2009

Speaking to Kids

Yesterday I got a chance to speak to 3rd graders at my old elementary school. They were very receptive to me and asked a lot of questions. The most interesting ones were about my ventilator. They wanted to know how it worked, what everything was, and most importantly if it hurt. One little boy pointed to my nurse and said, "I have a question for you. Are you her doctor?" I guess it would be kind of interesting if I was able to bring my doctor everywhere I went.

Out of all of the different groups of people that I've talked to over the years, my favorite audience is kids. They are the most open and honest about their questions. They aren't afraid to say what they're thinking. Many kids (and adults) stare at people with disabilities. I believe that they are just curious and sometimes afraid of the unknown. It is my goal and passion to teach kids while at a young age that people with disabilities should be seen for the abilities that they have, not disabilities. To let them know that it is okay to be friends with someone who has a disability and that it's alright to ask questions. I thoroughly enjoy inspiring and teaching others.

Jenni

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you're a leader."
-John Quincy Adams

3 comments:

Steph said...

words cant express how proud I am of you. congrats....these speaking events will be remembered by these kids for years to come Jenni. Love u
<3 Steph

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenster, great event. Why don't you call me and tell me about these dates. I love Hearing about your outside activities. I know, you have cares, but I'm usually home around 5 to 6.

Grandpa Rich

Jackie said...

It must be so fun and rewarding to talk to kids. And they are so honest, so I am sure you get some great questions too. How awesome!