Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Fall Update

I will be getting my booster COVID Vaccine, and my flu shot December 1. I also contacted my doctor about getting a new set of x-rays for my left pinky and knee. I’m hoping my hand is all healed up, so I don’t have to wear the brace on it anymore. Also, it’s been a long time since I injured my knee. Last time I got an x-ray of it they told me it was no worse but no better.

I really hope it has at least gotten better because if it doesn’t heal quickly, I’m afraid I’ll lose my place at ABLE. I miss going there, getting some exercise, and making progress. Since my accident, I never thought I’d be able to do as many things as I’ve accomplished since starting the program. It’s important to me that I keep it up, especially because I felt a sense of independence and new strength since I started.

Last Sunday my power wheelchair stopped working. I couldn’t drive it, or re-position and an error code flashed across the screen that I look at to operate it. Based off the code, the company I use for equipment was able to try to figure out what was wrong with it. They thought it was the motor which would take 7 to 10 business days to order a new one plus the time to replace it and get it back to me. They took my wheelchair on Tuesday and left me with a crappy, loaner manual wheelchair.

Although they figured out within a few days that it was just a faulty wire on a control panel. The company was able to bring it back to me Thursday late afternoon. Since independence is so important to me, being without such a vital part of my life was very difficult. Because it wasn’t fitted for me, I was only able to spend roughly 2 hours in the loaner wheelchair on Wednesday morning. Thursday morning, I got up in my shower chair for an hour.

I spent the remainder of the time in bed, trying to reposition as much as possible so I didn’t get sore or uncomfortable. I realize how lucky I am to be able to move about and get out of bed every day. There was a low point in my life when I didn’t want to get out of bed for a few days, because I thought to myself “what’s the point of getting up when I’m just going to get back in bed again?” I’m glad that others intervened and got me out of that state of mind. 

It’s been five years already since I got this wheelchair. That’s the point when insurance will cover a new one, so I am in the process now of pursuing that. It took a year and ½ to get the one I have now after starting the process, so I’m guessing it will be about the same for another one. That’s why I am starting the process now.

Now that I can be in my wheelchair, I’ve been going for a walk and roll outside every day while I’m still able to. The weather is getting colder, and snow is on its way! I do take Brody out in the winter, even if there’s snow outside although only if the streets are clear. Hoping to go more places soon other than just the doctor’s office; it’s just difficult if there are a lot of people around. Maybe the mall is the best place because I can stay away from others.

Even though Christmas is 1 ½ months away, I’ve already been looking for gifts online. I prefer to shop online more than the stores because I can find what I’m looking for easier. The best time for me to order things is on Cyber Monday. Although you never really know how good it is unless you look at prices beforehand! I think Black Friday, especially for someone like me, is crazy. People wait in line for hours to try to get the best “deals” and fight over others. Also, you never really know how safe it is since COVID still exists.

I’m still plugging away at my book. Since starting to write it myself, I think it’s best this way instead of having a ghostwriter. I have found a groove and style of writing that I want it in. Hopefully I will be finished writing by next year and then I can find an editor to help me. It depends on how fast and how much time I invest into it. I believe I already written almost 10 chapters, but don’t know how long the book will be yet.

Jenni

No comments: