Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Life as a Quad IV: Maintaining Life as a Quad

Throughout the past 17 years of my life as a quadriplegic paralyzed from the neck down, I have learned how to manage any complications while staying positive along the way. Since my accident happened when I was 16, it amazes me to think that I’ve been in a wheelchair longer than walking. There were times of adjustment, although I feel like I’m at that point now where I’m just maintaining my life.

Although there is no cure for quadriplegia, there are ways to address the effects of it. Physical therapy can help with muscle and pain function. Caregivers can help ease the burden of family members. If any emotional issues come about, counseling can help with that. All of these improve the quality of life with quadriplegics.

Prior to my injury, I was active, adventurous and independent. One thing I’ve realized is that despite what happened, I’m still the same person inside. In my current situation now, I have greater control over my life. I try to maintain a connection on a physical and spiritual level of things.

I consider myself an advocate for the spinal cord injury community along with others in my situation. I also hope to show other people with spinal cord injuries the possibilities post-injury. Realizing that life expectancy after injury for a vent -dependent quadriplegic ranges, makes me very grateful for everyone that supported and helped me throughout my journey so far. I believe my presence along with outlook can show others that you can still have a happy and fulfilling life despite what happens.

Jenni

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable."

-Christopher Reeve

1 comment:

Jay said...

You definitely help others with spinal cord injuries.