Sunday, December 15, 2019

Dealing with Sores

It’s important for people who are unable to move themselves to be aware of pressures sores. They occur from too much pressure on one spot of the body for a long period of time. They start out as just a red mark and can progress into a nasty open wound that can be difficult to get rid of. They can be very painful, and if infected may cause death. Many people with physical disabilities get them on their back and butt from sitting and laying too long without changing positions. One can also get pressure sores from laying on wrinkles or from their orthotic braces being too tight or not fitting correctly.

Something that helps prevent them is to reposition frequently. During the day in my wheelchair, my nurse will change my position using a pillow. I alternate from having a pillow to not having one, in order to relieve pressure on my back. My nurse will also stretch my arms and legs a couple times so that they are not in the same position for too long. My wheelchair also reclines and tilts; that way I’m able to change the position of my body.

In bed, I also use pillows to reposition and relieve pressure on certain parts of my body. I start off by turning to my right side before falling asleep. During the night when I am sleeping, my nurse comes in and turns me three hours later to my back. After about an hour, they turn me on my left side for three more hours. It's a lot of movement but well needed.

I am in bed more than I am in my chair, and because of that I have an air mattress as another precaution to ensure that I don't get bed sores. The mattress is inflated with air by a pump that hangs on the end of my bed. The air alternates throughout the mattress to change pressure from one spot to the other. It is extremely comfortable and essential for preventing bedsores. My wheelchair seat that I sit is called a ROHO cushion and it is also filled with air for the same reason.

Over the years, my skin has been very healthy, and I haven’t had a pressure sore since right after my accident when I got one on my right shoulder blade from my Halo vest. Other than that, I’ve been very lucky. Although lately I’ve been dealing with a small but deep pressure ulcer that developed under my left knee. At first, we thought it was coming from the knee brace that I wear for my bruised bone. Because of this, I decided to stop wearing it a couple weeks ago.

I’ve been putting bacitracin on it and covering it with some gauze and paper tape. Though it’s getting slightly better, I’m going to see a wound doctor on Tuesday so he can check it out. Hopefully it’s not something too serious and I can get rid of it within a short period of time. If not, it could turn even worse. I’m just glad that I’m going to go get it checked out.

Jenni

No comments: