Sunday, July 4, 2021

What Happens In An Emergency?

Every person with a disability has different needs in an emergency or matter of fact situation. It’s crucial that each person take stock of their own needs and required supports. This includes being able to assess the situation and how they can meet those needs depending on what the situation is. As far as me having a spinal cord injury, there are certain things that I need that may be different from others.

It’s very difficult on everyone when one or more of my caregivers can’t work. Especially when there is nobody to replace them. It is usually up to my family to help me, do my cares, and make sure nothing goes wrong. Since I require 24/7 nursing, especially if something went wrong with my ventilator or tubing, it’s very important that someone is always within earshot. This is one of the positives to having a nurse with me all the time. Although I don’t always want someone with me everywhere I go, I need every hour I can get with them.

What do I do if something comes disconnected on my vent or tubing? If something comes disconnected, the first thing that happens is my vent will alarm. That notifies the persons taking care of me that something has come disconnected but doesn’t tell you where it is. Then if they can’t find the area within a couple of seconds, they grab the Ambu bag and start bagging me. It’s difficult to bag me and find where my tubes came apart at the same time, so if someone is around to help it’s the best scenario. Although, if not my nurse has to do both at the same time.

Every place I go, my nurse comes as well. If I’m just going outside for a roll, they load my wheelchair with my portable suction machine, oxygen, and a backpack that has supplies in case of an emergency including an Ambu bag. If I’m going to an appointment, I still bring the suction and oxygen, although instead of the backpack, I bring a rolling suitcase. In the suitcase is everything that’s in the backpack along with other supplies, because I take it when I’m going to be farther away from my house and for a longer period of time.

Along with emergency and extra supplies, my nurses pack their charting sheets along with a travel chart. In it is an up-to-date list of all my prescription medicines. Included is their generic names and the dosage amounts. Also, there is a list of my allergies. I also bring my medical alert card with information about my medical needs, along with my insurance and medical assistance card. It’s important for me to bring along a list of all my doctors and emergency contacts as well, just in case.

Jenni

No comments: