Thursday, January 28, 2021

Choices in Life

Life is made up of an endless number of choices. Most decisions, such as what you’ll eat for the day, are small and only slightly influential. It’s the big decisions-the ones that will change your life indefinitely-that are difficult to make. Every choice we choose can impact our life either in a good or bad way, it helps form us to find out who we are to ourselves and to other people.

When thinking about the occasions that I had to make big decisions, it was after my accident. The number of times which I had a hard time accepting my new normal was less than a handful. It helped that I had support from friends and family. I also had a positive thinking that things were going to be okay despite what happened to me. 

One occasion in which I had a difficult time was when I said no to getting out of bed for a few days in a row. I just wanted to not deal with all the "stuff" that I normally do every day. It took my mom to literally get me out of bed, despite me saying no, for me to realize how important it is for my mind and body to be in different positions. It was after that where I told myself that from then on, I was continually going to have to make decisions, good or bad, and choose how I wanted to live my life.

Also, since I went back to school the year after my accident, I was forced to be around a bunch of people, including the same peers as before. It did make it hard at times to adjust, but I would always tell myself that I'm in it for the long run, even if I didn't always believe it at the time. It helped me cope with those difficult situations and breakdowns. I know not everybody in this situation has the same feelings or ability to adjust their thinking based on what others tell them or what they tell themselves. 

As far as what I would tell someone in my shoes, I would start off by asking the question "what motivates you to get out of bed every day?” Maybe it would get people thinking about their life and what they are thankful for. We all have choices in our lives, and I think the biggest one of all is whether to walk away or try harder.

Jenni

“Choice is the most powerful tool we have. Everything boils down to choice. We exist in a field of infinite possibilities. Every choice that we make shuts an infinite number of doors and opens a number of infinite doors. At any point we can change the direction of our lives by a simple choice. It is all in our hands, our hearts, and our minds.” -Anonymous

No comments: