Saturday, January 25, 2020

Upcoming Surgery

During my last update, I shared that I’m going to be having surgery to replace my baclofen pump on Monday, January 27. The battery lasts about 5 years and then it needs to be switched out. Although the last it was changed was in 2013, 7 years ago. This will be my 4th baclofen pump. I’m hoping there aren’t any complications, and then I’ll only have to stay one night in the hospital.

My physical with my doctor last month all checked out to be normal. I had an appointment yesterday to do an x-ray of my baclofen pump. They want to be sure they know where everything is placed before doing surgery. It was a pain to get the x-ray done though. I went to a clinic instead of the hospital so instead of a ceiling lift they just had a hoyer lift to get me onto the x-ray table.
 
There were only two technicians helping along with my nurse. They had to call a third person in order to transfer me completely there and back. It probably took twice as long as it should have. I’m glad that my nurse was at least there to help. My tubes for my wheelchair vent are only 6 feet long and didn’t reach while I was transferring so she had to take me off my vent and bag me.
 
Hopefully I won’t have to go through that ordeal anytime soon. I’ll update everyone after my surgery to let you know how it went.

Jenni

No comments: