Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Update on My Daily Life

Lately I have been in a routine during the day. Despite the fact that it’s the end of November already, it’s been really nice outside. I try to get out every day; Brody loves the exercise and I love the weather. The other thing that I have been doing every day is standing. Now that I have my new wheelchair, it allows me to stand at will.

Having the freedom to take ½ an hour to an hour to get on my feet makes the world of a difference in my body. I have to make sure to monitor my blood because having a spinal cord injury it has a tendency to drop. As long as I stand at the right time during the day, it’s usually okay. Since writing my last blog post about standing in August when I received my new wheelchair, I’ve been able to go up to 90° without having to stop in between.

One thing that’s different throughout this year is that my body has been retaining fluids. This causes my body to be puffy, and gain weight as well. I have what is called edema in my extremities. Edema is swelling caused by excess fluids trapped in your body’s tissues. It’s more noticeable in people’s arms, hands, legs and feet (which is what I’m experiencing).

Mild cases may result from sitting or staying in one position for too long or eating too many salty foods. It can also be an effect of blood pressure medications which is what we initially attributed it to. For a while I was on two separate ones which make my body retain fluids to keep my blood pressure up. Despite weaning myself off the one that gives me the most symptoms I am still having this issue. There are meds called diuretics which completely drain tissues of fluids, although if I stayed on them long-term it would make my blood pressure drop significantly.

Other than the edema, I’ve been pretty healthy. I haven’t had any trach or bladder infections all summer or fall. This is the first year that my body has been that way and I believe standing has helped me be able to move my secretions better. I’m also using an antibiotic nebulizer where I do it for one month off, on for another and so on.

Jenni

No comments: