Thursday, September 8, 2011

Change of Pace

My article in the Sun Sailor came out yesterday. Being Ms. wheelchair Minnesota has been a great experience so far, and I'm excited for everything that's to come. It's such an honor to represent all of the amazing people with disabilities. I'm happy that I have the chance to educate others and be a "roll model". To read the article click here.

Since my trip to Michigan, I have changed a lot. Because the schedule was so crazy, it forced me to get up earlier in my wheelchair and get back in bed later than usual. I found that I actually slept better because I was doing things that required all of my energy. I learned my limits but also how far I can push myself. Since I've been back my whole routine has changed. My schedule is more flexible and I'm not so stuck in my original ways.

I've been getting out more, especially in the evenings, and have been staying in my wheelchair a couple of hours later than I had before. I would normally transfer back into bed around 5 PM. After doing range of motion I would sit up, eat dinner and either watch TV or go on my computer until 10:30 PM. This is all changed. I no longer get back into bed at any certain time, only when I feel like it. Some nights it's later some nights not.

The only reason I had the routine I did, was because in my mind I thought I could only stay up in my wheelchair 7 to 8 hours. I realized after Michigan, that my body can tolerate being up much longer and do more activities. I'm extremely glad that I went on the trip and figured this out because if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have realized that I could do things differently.

It's all about opening your mind to new things, and I've definitely done that!

Jenni

No comments: