Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Big Adventure

For my environmental biology class one of the assignments due is a community study. It involves going out into the community to a park or reserve and identifying the different species involved, or explain why I believe they are present in the community. My species list is to include at least 20 species which could include woody plants, mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians. Herbaceous plants and invertebrates can be listed using the most appropriate name/term that can be employed, in conjunction with a brief description (eg., Red and black beetle).

On Monday I went to Theodore Wirth Parkway to do my study. I met with, Michelle, our class advisory. When I first got there, we started looking at plants on the side of the road. I wanted to go deep into the forest and search high and low, but Michelle said it wasn't accessible. I said I wanted to try anyways, which she was hesitant but said okay. I had to hop a curb to get onto the unpaved path. It was bumpy and there were lots of hills and it was hard for my nurse to push me.

We stopped when we got to the nature center to look around. I saw lots of different species of plants and animals. Michelle had a field guide that we could look at to identify things. We decided to go forward instead of back thinking the train would be better. We were wrong. There were even more hills and at one point I was rolling pretty fast down one and it had me scared. Then we thought we had a dead-end when we came up to a huge, muddy puddle across the path. I ended up having to go around almost into the woods after Michelle piled leaves over the water and mud. After a couple of hours of trekking through the forest, we finally made it out.

Needless to say we had a big but great adventure, and I learned some things as well. Next time I'll choose somewhere that has a paved path and is handicapped accessible. Either that or it won't be so bold.

Jenni

No comments: