Saturday, September 18, 2010

Getting Cooler

The weather is getting cooler and soon Minnesota will be entering fall season. The leaves on the trees will start to turn beautiful shades of yellow, orange and red; they will then die and make their way down to the ground where they will lay dormant throughout winter.

Lately, I've just been following pretty much the same routine day in and day out. I get all my cares done in the morning and then get out of bed into one of two wheelchairs (manual one if I'm going out somewhere and old power wheelchair if I'm staying home). When I stay home I go out into the other room and usually watch one TV show while I eat lunch, do stretches on my arms, and.cath. Then usually around noon I read some of my textbook for my class. After that I go on the computer for most of the rest of the afternoon.

On the computer I read and write discussion posts for my class, look at my Facebook, check my blog for comments and add to future posts and check my e-mail. Occasionally I'll chat with someone on Skype or Facebook in between all this. The reason I go on the computer for so long is because I can exhibit independence (something I've lost with my wheelchair). Using speech recognition software, I can navigate through whatever programs that I want all by myself. This is also usually when I get the most alone time during the day.

It's been really tough without a working power wheelchair. I feel myself getting bored more easily and sometimes a little depressed. It is more difficult to get outside and go out places. I miss going to school instead of just doing it online and hope that soon things will be back the way they used to be. However, with the weather changing soon it will be even more difficult to go outside, even when I get my new power wheelchair. Hopefully something exciting in my life will come along soon.

Jenni

"Leave yesterday behind. Let hope guide you to a sunny new tomorrow."

No comments: