Thursday, November 24, 2022

A Way to Fill My Cup

 If you know me, you’d know that I love helping others. This includes, but is not limited to motivational speaking, sharing my story with others, volunteering, etc. The Pandemic put a real damper on my situation as a quadriplegic paralyzed from the neck down. Aside from my spinal cord injury, the “stay-at-home” order was one of the most difficult times in my life and had a profound effect on me.

I know for a fact I’m not the only one. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), “Plenty of us became more anxious; but for some COVID-19 has sparked or amplified much more serious mental health problems. A great number of people have reported psychological distress and symptoms of depression, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress.” 

I tried everything to make myself useful in a time when all I was able to do to connect with others was on my computer, video or over the phone. That’s when I decided to find ways to help people through the web. I searched many different places but didn’t really find anything that suited my capabilities. Other than being able to blog, write poetry, and work on my memoir, it’s been difficult these past couple of years. Even now that the order has lifted, I haven’t reconnected with friends or gone out many places.

Recently, I was on the web searching again for different things to do relating to spinal cord injuries. I came across this website called Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center (otherwise known as MSKTC). Within their website, were various amounts of information for people with SCI’s, TBI’s, and Burns. After reading some of the information, I was floored at how much knowledge and help they had for people in my situation and alike. 

I also saw that I could become a “SCI Ambassador” to help people with spinal cord injuries. I had to fill out some information about myself and complete an application. This was exactly the type of thing I was interested in doing. As stated on their website, below is a more in-depth description of what they’re looking for:

“Are you passionate about helping people living with spinal cord injury (SCI) and their families? This could be the perfect role for you! The goal of the Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center (MSKTC) Ambassadors Program is to inform, empower, and help individuals with SCI live well. We are looking for people living with SCI, their families, and those who support them to serve as ambassadors. MSKTC ambassadors will actively promote and share free, evidence-based resources from the MSTKC to help people with SCI live well when interacting with MSKTC's audience and the wider SCI community.”

After reading this, I applied for the position immediately. Then I set up a Zoom visit with them. My main mission is informing others about how they can help others by using their resources. It’s great that I have platforms (including my blog and help of others) to spread the word about MSKTC and all the help they can provide for people in need. If you browse through their website, there are many “user-friendly resources… available in a variety of formats such as printable PDF documents, videos, and slideshows.”

I hope you can check out their website for information to not only use as a resource for yourself, but pass on to your friends, family, or others in need. An easy way is by sharing this blog post or their website by clicking on their website address: https://msktc.org/

Jenni

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me or contact MSKTC for more info.

No comments: