Monday, July 19, 2021

Disability Awareness

With having a disability, there are many challenges and misconceptions that I’ve come across. Some of the most common are health, accessibility, discrimination, and language usage. Thus, according to the Right of Persons with a Disability act in 2016: “A “person with disability" means a person with long term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which, in interaction with barriers, hinders his full and effective participation in society equally with others.”

A great number of disabilities are preventable, however there are a lack of affordable access to proper healthcare, aids and appliances. In my situation, I am very susceptible to health issues. Having a high spinal cord injury and being on a ventilator is one of many reasons why I may get sick or have infections more easily. When those with disabilities get sick, there are only so many options when it comes to accessible and affordable healthcare.

Although efforts have been given to ensure accessibility in most buildings, there are still multiple places that are not accessible. This includes transportation, access to services, restaurants, housing etc. The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), require all restaurants to be accessible along with Dr. offices, bars, eateries, theaters, hotels, shops, stores, shopping malls, private schools, museums and service establishments. Some people may not even be aware of the difficulties a person with a disability might face from participating in everyday life and common daily activities of getting into or to an area that is not accessible.

Not only do people with disabilities face discrimination in school there are certain public “ideas” about what someone with a disability looks and acts like. There are a limited number of education places that are available and inclusive. Along with this includes trained teachers and educational materials. I know I faced this firsthand when I was going to school and out in the public. It’s difficult to be out in a world that isn’t always accepting of those with disabilities.

Many people commonly use dated wording when speaking about people with disabilities. Mostly because they may have grown up with different terms. Over time, the terminology has changed, and some words can often be offensive. Disrespectful language can make people feel excluded and can be a barrier for participation. It’s important that people are aware of the meaning behind the words they use when referring to, talking to or working with the Disability Community. 

Use the term “disability,” and take the following terms out of your vocabulary when talking about or talking to people with disabilities. Don't use the terms “handicapped,” “differently-abled,” “cripple,” “crippled,” “victim,” “retarded,” “stricken,” “poor,” “unfortunate,” or “special needs.”. It is okay to use phrases or words such as “people with disabilities”, “disabled,” or “disability,”. When in doubt, call a person with a disability by his/her name.

In my own experience, I have been told by others that I’m an inspirational person and have a vast amount of courage to go through what I did after my accident. Just because someone has a disability, it doesn’t mean he/she is courageous, inspirational, brave, superhuman, or special. It is not unusual for someone with a disability to have skills, talents, and abilities. People with disabilities are the same as everyone else. To me, I’m just trying to get by as best I can and live my life as normally as possible.

I believe people with disabilities need to be more integrated into society by overcoming stigma. Thus, why I like to talk to others and share what I have experienced in my life. This is part of the reason why I blog, do public speaking, and show others my abilities despite my disability. Also, I think the scale of disability needs to be better understood by improving the measurement of disability, including all rights.

At some point in our lives, disability will impact all of us. Later in life you may gain a disability, know someone with a disability, or have a family member or child that you care for. Disability is a part of our everyday experiences. Everyone has a part to play in order to ensure that every single person, no matter what the ability, can achieve a type of society that is 100% involved.

Jenni

“The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning-bug”.

-Mark Twain

No comments: