Sunday, November 1, 2020

Celebrating Life with a SCI


When a person has a spinal cord injury, they may experience a mix of emotions. It’s also one of the most traumatic things they will ever face. Due to it, people may experience physical or emotional side effects. However, life after a spinal cord injury can be managed.

Some days, my mind might wander off and I feel down. In those cases, I try to keep my mind occupied and engaged by doing other activities. These include things like painting, writing, watching movies or reading. I'm usually able to keep myself composed and engaged in the present moment.

Today marks the 18th year anniversary of my accident. Since then, it has forever altered the way I go about doing things. It may be a change, but it doesn’t define who I am. I refuse to let my injury beat me. It’s important to me to have a good perspective on life. I like to be positive and optimistic about things. That means choosing to celebrate even the smallest victories.

Aside from some of the “hard times”, I know that life with a spinal cord injury is worth living. Whether someone is injured or not, life can be difficult. That is why I like to share my story with others. I believe there is a point to every single moment. I try to experience as many things as I can in the time that I am here because life is short. 

Jenni

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing youvall the best, Jenni! Greetings and Hugs from Germany

Mark Sheehan said...

Hello, Jenni. I came across your blog a couple of months ago, I don't even recall how now, but I was intrigued by it and have been checking back with it regularly since. I live in Houston, TX. You say that you refuse define you or beat you. After the accident how long did that take? It seems hard to believe that you could have reached that point quickly. If I suffered an injury like yours my first response would, I imagine, be horror, followed by despair. I suspect that it would take a long time for me to develop an attitude like yours. Did it take a long time for you? How did you go about it. Who or what helped you? I'd be interested in knowing. Thanks. And thanks for the blog!