Monday, March 30, 2020

Stay-at-home Order

Brody tired from our walk today!
On Wednesday, our governor Tim Waltz gave a two-week stay-at-home order between the days of Friday, March 27 and Friday, April 10 (it’s now been extended until April 30). The order is intended to slow the COVID 19 across the state and minimize its impact. It’s a dramatic step that requires people to stay home unless absolutely necessary. It’s a far-reaching measure that is drastically impacting Minnesotans in the way in which we work, play, learn, go about our daily lives and communicate with others. Although it’s reported that by doing so, we are saving tens of thousands of lives by staying home. As of now, United States cases surpass 200,000 and death toll rises to 4300.

I know my last post was about the coronavirus, but it seems like our lives are consumed with that right now. I’ve been doing my part still by self-isolating myself but still having full-time caregivers along with PCAs, massage, physical therapy and acupuncture. The reason they are still able to come is because their work is considered critically essential and so am I, given my situation (healthcare and public health). They aren't required to carry any sort of paperwork when traveling to and from work, just urged to voluntarily comply with the orders set in place.

Luckily the weather here has been nice, so I try to get out every day. Aside from the couple of days where I went outside in the rain! I was desperate to get out of the house. Whenever I've been on my walks, I seem to pass more and more people enjoying the weather and getting out of her house as well. Other things I've been doing are binge watching Netflix, going on my computer and cleaning off random spaces in rooms. I suppose this order is both good and bad, given all of the things that are getting done that wouldn't otherwise despite the illness.

People are allowed to do many things outside or at home-as long as it follows safe distancing recommendations (6 feet apart). As far as getting necessary supplies and services, individuals can obtain food, gas, or carry out. Other things deemed necessary are care of others, displacement, relocation, funerals, and tribal activities.

Jenni

1 comment:

David Woodford said...

Interesting that where you live, they deemed funerals a necessity, while they are banned here in Washington State.