Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cameras All around

I'm finally finished with my online marketing class. I'm not sure what I received for a grade yet. Summer classes are the hardest, especially online ones. They take up a lot of time. My whole summer's been devoted to classes. I haven't had the time to do much of what I want to such as shop, work on my tan, or write (especially blog posts). Though, I have been able to find a little bit of time for film crews.

Lately, I've been around a lot of video cameras. A few weeks ago the company that I get my nurses through came out to my house to do a promotional shoot. It was sort of like a testimonial; they videotaped me outside and doing a few things with my family to show how I'm doing as a result of the great care that I receive from my nurses. I had a lot of fun, and the guy who came out with the video camera works for the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, a favorite show of mine on Food Network.

Then, a couple weeks ago some people from Altimate Medical, makers of the EasyStand stander, came over to film me for their series called Life after SCI. They shot video of me painting, standing in my stander and also did an interview session. The video will probably be done in a couple of months; they're also going get shots of me at Normandale this fall. I'll definitely post it when it's done. Click here to read a post on the Easystand Blog about the day.

The week before last I received an e-mail from the PR person at Gillette children's hospital. They asked me if I could recall someone that made an impact on me who worked at the hospital when I was in rehab, almost 10 years ago. Fox 9 news contacted them for their series "Hospital Heroes", and so Gillette contacted me. Instantly I thought of a nurse named Tessa who I will always remember as being very helpful to me and my family. So, last week I went to Gillette on a day Tessa was working (her job is slightly different than it used to be as a nurse). Scott Wasserman and a camera guy from Fox 9 met me there to shoot some video of Tessa working and also the two of us talking. Then they met me back at my house to videotape some things that I do now that I've learned from Tessa and/or Gillette.

I was at Gillette Children's Hospital for six months after my accident. I learned a lot, especially how to be independent and cope with my injury. I also learned how to paint with my mouth when I was there, which is something that I love to do now. There were many nurses and staff members that helped me throughout my recovery period, and I owe a lot to those who have taken care of me throughout these past 10 years. If it weren't for the great care that I've received and also received now, I wouldn't be where I am at today.



Colleen said...

Hi. I saw the Fox9 story and you did great!

lovebeautyandgold said...

I'd love to follow your blog but can't find the follow button :(