Friday, October 14, 2011

A Good Feeling

I was at school the other day heading to my class when a guy stopped me in the hallway. He told me he remembered me from a speaking engagement I did three years ago. It was a 15 min. speech after a mock car crash to about 1200 students and faculty at Eastview high school. He was one of them.

I was kind of taken aback because I didn't expect it. He said that I inspired him that day. He also told me to keep speaking and sharing my story; that I'm amazing and inspirational. It felt really good to hear and know that I had touched somebody.

This reminds me of a similar story that happened a couple of years ago. I had spoken to a group of about 80 sixth-graders at Glen Lake elementary school. One of the students in particular had gone home that day and talked to his parents about my speech. He told them about me speaking and my story.

A couple of days after I had spoke, I received an e-mail from the boy's father. He told me that his son had come home talking about me. Then he said I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of the firemen that helped pull you out of the car that night. I came and visited you in the hospital afterwards.

Chills went through as I read those words over and over. I did remember him; he brought me a St. Christopher medal. He also said in the e-mail that him and his department still talk about that night. It's amazing the connections that we have in the world throughout life. I'm thankful every day that I'm alive and able to help others just by being me. I hope to have many more stories like this to share.

Jenni

That's exactly the reason why I do what I do and love it.

2 comments:

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!) said...

It's so referencing to hear someone in my (our) condition sharing my feelings of joy and happiness in the fact that we are still alive, despite being so physically altered. It just goes to show that we still have so much to offer the world.

Anonymous said...

Keep spreading your message to the kids of Minnesota. You never know when you will strike a chord with one of them and even perhaps save a life. Kids are very impressionable. Real life stories hit home! Keep up the good work!!