Tuesday, January 25, 2011

No Silence

In my life there is no silence. Even when I am the only person in the room, there's always a constant flow of noise inserting into my ears, getting trapped inside my head. A whoosh of air going in and out, in and out; it is an everlasting hum that can be heard throughout the house. My ventilator breathes for me. Requiring electricity to run, it is an energy sucking, life-saving machine that never stops going. Power is essential. Electrical currents flow out of the outlet, up through the thick gray cord and into the machine. In and out, in and out; filling my lungs with air; oxygen running through my body; giving me life. It is a process that never stops, never sleeps and is never quiet. In my life there is no silence.

Jenni

"I have often lamented that we cannot close our ears with as much ease as we can our eyes." ~Richard Steele

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow is this a poem... it goes the same for me too :) ^5... constant noise buzzing around in the head... jialiang

Anonymous said...

You write beautifully!