Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Happy Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day originated as a Christian feast day honoring a martyr named Valentine. Through later folk traditions, it’s become a significant cultural and commercial celebration of romance and love in many regions of the world. On Valentine’s Day, people on average usually spend close to $200 per person. It’s expected that Americans plan to spend nearly $26 billion today. If money could buy love, couples might have the most successful romantic relationships.

Around 145 billion Valentines cards are exchanged every year. Even kids in classrooms exchange Valentine’s Day cards. I remember when I was in grade school, handing out cards to every kid in my classroom and eating candied hearts with words on them. I’m sure that still exists to this day. That’s along with heart-shaped boxes with all sorts of different flavors of chocolate pieces inside. If there isn’t a paper that tells you what’s inside, you need to guess which flavor each one is by tasting them.

Although it’s only celebrated by about 50% of Americans, that’s still enough for places to keep producing cards and gifts for it. Even fresh-cut flowers are given as love for someone. Every year, my mom even gets me Valentine’s Day cards, along with putting sweet treats for my nurses and PCAs. I don’t eat sweets anymore; I prefer salty foods instead. Along with me not craving sweets, I’m allergic to pollen so flowers are out of the picture. 

Thoughtfulness trumps splashing the cash. What does your sweetheart love? Kind intentions. Most people prefer a gift that shows thoughtfulness and an understanding of the recipient’s favorites, hobbies, and preferences. You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars on jewelry to show your loved one they are priceless to you. Be mindful this year and think about the best way to show your affection.

I do want to shout out a happy Valentine’s Day to my love, Jay. Also, to the many others who celebrate today.

Jenni

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's 😊. Interesting information. Never thought of that. Love is in the air. 🥰

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day 💝