Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Drill Away


Last Wednesday I had to have a root canal on one of my molars. I figured out that I needed to go to the dentist when I developed a bump in my gum right above that tooth and it hurt when I touched it. It took a while and a lot of searching to find an Endodontist's office that was accessible and that could do it with me in my wheelchair. When I got there they numbed me up really well and then started drilling away! I usually don't mind the dentist so as long as there's no pain I'm okay. It went well and then yesterday I went back to my regular dentist and he put a temporary crown over that tooth until the new one gets made.

This was my first root canal and crown that I've had. The dentist drilled about half my tooth away before making a mold to fit the crown. The temporary is really smooth and feels weird; I have to be careful with flossing and different foods so it doesn't fall out. After he was done, I went to a different room and the dental hygienist started cleaning my teeth. I must've felt really comfortable because I actually fell asleep while she was scraping my teeth and poking at my gums. When I woke up she was almost done and she said that I kept my mouth open the whole time.

I have to go back in a couple weeks to get the porcelain crown put on. I don't mind getting my teeth cleaned but hopefully I won't have to have any more crowns in the future.
Jenni

No comments: